Most of these ideas perhaps exist in a niche form currently and have been tried by small companies . The challenge is for big brands/companies to embrace some of them and take them mass.
· Masala Coke/Pepsi – Its surprising that this has not been launched yet . You can have this concoction at thousands of stalls all over India . Surely Coke or Pepsi flavorists can find a way to develop and bottle a winning mix.. Suits Pepsi’s challenger brand image more. I can see Coke being a bit precious with the brand . Can be easily launched as “Coke /Pepsi Spice” in the western markets.
· Expanding beer consumer base to females ( espl in mature / developed markets) via flavoured beers (if it is working in Germany, a beer purist country, it should work in other European markets also). Fruity , spicy , Lemony ..bring them on !!
· A Light beer in a blue bottle – Why are all beers in either transparent or green bottles. Imagine shelf standout and support for a proposition like “ Fresh Light taste” with a blue bottle .
· P&G or Unilever takeover of green/ecological cleaning products company ECOVER – This brand is slowly creeping into all big retail chains and is steadily growing its sales and product range. Is available in most of Europe, Japan, US and Israel. The “green” trend is here to stay and grow. With premium pricing I am sure margins are very healthy.
· Gillette shaving aids – Think shaving oil (pre shaving regimen) , facial hair trimmer ( post shaving regimen ; who wants to shave high up on the cheek to remove a few tiny scattered hair ) . These products already exist eg Shaving oil by King of shaves and Clarins for Men . Facial hair trimmer is offered by Panasonic. Gillette can take these products mainstream and grow the category many times over.
· Minute- maid fair-trade Orange Juice – We have 100% Juice (Tropicana etc ) , we have 100% Organic juice ( not yet mainstream though) . Can 100% Juice from Fair-trade Oranges be the edge for Minute Maid vs Tropicana? Its only offered by minor players till now ( eg Calypso) .
· Kelloggs special K mini bytes – Special K cereal is a hit and so are the cereal bars . How about making them byte size and snackier . Just right for the 3pm hunger pang !!!
· SONY /BURBERRY co-branded handbag worthy laptops – ASUS has a laptop with a leather cover /front panel which looks like a handbag. They also have a pink one . I am sure women are not enthralled by the “macho” black IBM THIKPAD or a Silver Toshiba/Dell ..and apple is not yet mainstream. If cars designers can wake up to the female segment opportunity so can laptop designers. We need a Toshiba, Sony or Dell to do this to make it big. ASUS hasn’t got the equity in the category.
· LEVIS instant jeans tattoo – Get some cachet back into this tiring brand. Printable fabric transfer tattoos which you can add on to your jeans in-store or later at home.